Taking Care of Our Properties
Posted in Property services
During this time of not being able to meet in person, it is important we continue to steward our buildings well. We encourage congregations to safely undertake a walk-around of their properties weekly (or at least every 30 days), to ensure they are kept in good condition. While no major projects should be commenced, there may be some minor maintenance matters that need attention, particularly leading into winter. Please consider the following actions when visiting your property:
- External check
- have any windows or locks been broken?
- do any gutters need cleaning, ready for winter storms?
- are the gardens being maintained appropriately (eg lawns mowed, automatic sprinklers turned off)? Properties which are not maintained have a tendency to attract further problems
- has any rubbish been dumped on the property?
- is there an opportunity to leave a written note with a neighbour asking them to contact you if they notice anything unusual about the church property?
- Is there a current emergency contact number on display?
- Internal check
- Are all appliances unplugged and lights turned off?
- Are all taps turned off and not dripping?
- Is the refrigerator empty of food and rubbish bins empty?
- Is there any evidence of any water intrusion into the building?
- Continue all scheduled maintenance activities by external providers ie fire services inspections
- Other Matters
- Perhaps establish a roster of volunteers to check on the property – this helps share the load, and having ‘fresh eyes’ looking at the property can be beneficial (noting government guidelines for over 70 year olds to remain safe and at home)
- Make sure that contact details for hirers are up to date
- Investigate whether future upgrade works which would have disrupted the use of the buildings could be undertaken safely by contractors now. ie painting , replacing floor coverings
- Do not schedule volunteer working bees while restrictions are in place
- Please report any damage immediately to insurance services
- Where a building is unoccupied and not being used for any purpose all utility services to the premises are to be turned off, ie. water, gas/electricity.
When visiting your buildings, consider your personal safety and attend with one other person whenever possible, maintaining physical distancing and good hygiene practices. If you must attend alone, let someone know when you are going and when you return home. Please remember to be mindful of what you touch and ensure that any surfaces touched are cleaned and disinfected afterwards. Those who are over 70 years old or at higher risk from the virus should not attend to these tasks at this time.