This week's news, notices & prayer points from congregations, the SA Synod, and the wider Uniting Church.
Synod Standing Committee Meeting Summary 4th June 2021
Posted in News
A summary of the discussions, deliberations and decisions arising from the meeting of the Uniting Church in SA.
The highlights from the 4th June 2021 Synod Standing Committee Meeting are as follows:
- Correspondence received: Churches Together South Australia Ltd – previously South Australian Council of Churches Inc. https://churchestogethersa.org.au/
General Secretary’s Report
- The search has commenced for a new Principal for the Uniting College – the Position Description was approved.
- Synod Strategy and Planning Working Group commenced their work (following the Property Review Report)
- 2021 NCLS – Synod agreed to fund congregational reports, funds made available to encourage church leaders, lay and ordained, including chaplains to complete the survey
- Synod Expos Theme: Chasing the Wind of the Spirit
- Redress Update
Associate General Secretary’s Report
- Approved amendments to the Parkin Mission of SA Inc. Deed of Settlement
- Membership of the Synod Membership Review Task Group and Presbytery Restructure Review Task Group; Membership of the SA Churches Together Ecumenical Learning Team.
- Organisation’s Constitutional amendments and Board appointments
Engagement Ministry Centre Report
- Update on team activities; staffing update, including farewell to Win Kamaputri
Resources Board Report
- Overview of 2020 Financial Statements Report
- Mission and Service Fund statements for quarter 1
- Acknowledgement of the on-going commitment of congregations to the wider Church through their 2021 Mission & Service Fund contributions
Placements and Safe Church
- Placements Committee currently discussing Human Resources and Industrial Law and their relationship
- Continuing to work towards Respectful Communities
- Redress Scheme matters including the annual congregation Safe Church Audit
- National online Child Safe Training
- Acknowledge with gratitude the significant and faithful ministry in Mental Health Chaplaincy by the Rev Mark Boyce (Deacon).
Next meeting – 6th August 2021.
More from News
Deacon Nick Kerr from the Catholic Church passed away on 27th July 2021 after an extended illness, he was 81 years of age.
Homelessness Week is held annually in the first week of August, and is an opportunity to raise awareness of people experiencing homelessness, the issues they face and the action needed to achieve enduring solutions.