Building Claims

Emergency Claims

Building Glass Claims

Building and Contents (Industrial Special Risks) Claims

Emergency or After Hours Claims (Except Glass)

Contact Allianz 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Phone 1300 858 649

Quote Policy Number 1950957527IAR.

Please also contact Insurance Services on the next business day (08) 8236 4222 or email

Building Glass Claims

Contact O’Brien Glass 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

  • Phone directly on 1800 057 239
  • Quote Uniting Church SA, the congregation name, and account number 5049638

O’Brien’s Account will be submitted directly to Uniting Church SA. Insurance Services will be in contact with the Congregation to arrange completion of a Claim Form and Payment of applicable excess.

If you require assistance please contact insurance using the contact details (to the left on computer or below on mobile).

Building & Contents - (ISR)

Download a claim form here:

The church’s ‘Material Loss or Damage’ policy allows for:

  • Buildings to be repaired or reinstated to levels which are dependent on the type of cover which is in place;
  • Contents to be replaced with the nearest equivalent available.

Please notify Synod’s Insurance Services office by telephone or email, as soon as possible, after an event in which damage or loss has occurred. In response, the Congregation will be asked to complete a claim form which is supported by two quotes for the rectification of damage or replacement of the loss.

The Church’s insurer must always assess the circumstances and damage before authorising repair(s) or replacement. A policy excess applies per event.

If the claim is approved, the Congregation may be invited to instigate the repairs or replacement and

  • submit tax invoices to Synod’s Insurance Services office for payment by Synod directly to the supplier or service provider or
  • submit a request for reimbursement of costs with accompanying receipts for payments that have been made directly by the Congregation.

Steps to take in the event of an incident that may give rise to a claim

  1. Contact Insurance Services as soon as possible by phone on (08) 8236 4222 or email and where possible provide an estimate of the loss.
  2. Notify Police (and any other relevant authority) immediately if any of your property is lost, stolen, or maliciously damaged or vandalised. Obtain a Police Report Number for the claim form.
  3. If possible, do not disturb the scene. But certainly make the area safe and secure.
  4. Take all reasonable precautions to prevent further loss, damage or liability. Maintenance issues do not represent claimable events. Failure to take all reasonable care to protect any property may result in the loss being excluded altogether or an increase in the excess payable.
  5. Take Photos as a record of the loss &/or damage
  6. Where practicable, retain any damaged items at least until such time as the claim has been assessed and approved.
  7. Complete the Claim Form and attach two quotes with supporting documentation e.g. purchase receipts or other evidence of ownership and value such as photos, valuations and warranties. (As the church is self-insured for most property claims under $5,000, we require two comparative quotes for the repair of or, if unrepairable, the replacement of items. Quotations for replacement must be for property of equivalent style and quality to that which was lost, damaged or stolen.)

Please do not authorise repairs or replace property in connection with any claim without the insurer’s consent, other than for emergency/temporary repairs necessary to prevent further loss/injury or to minimise damage. (e.g. to secure and safeguard the premises by arranging for immediate replacement of broken windows and doors and to prevent access to premises or a dangerous/hazardous area).

  1. If the Congregation is asked to proceed with rectification or replacement please ensure that currently qualified and licensed tradespersons are engaged to carry out repairs wherever required by legislation e.g. electrical work, plumbing and working at heights.

Additional Information

  1. To assess claims relating to machinery breakdown the insurer will require a detailed report from a maintenance contractor which includes a description of the damaged item, date of manufacture of the motor, the parts requiring repair or replacement, how the damage occurred and a quote for repairs and service charges.
  2. For advice on other claim amounts (eg. theft of cash, consumables, food spoilage or value of voluntary labour please contact Insurance Services on 08 8236 4222 ).
  3. Please do not admit liability if an incident occurs which has the possibility to result in a claim against the church. Upon notification to Insurance Services, either our office or our Insurer will attend/respond.
  4. Goods and Services Tax (GST)
  5. a) If Congregation is Registered for GST and paying the Repairer/Supplier directly:
  • Obtain a Tax Invoice for items purchased in the name of your congregation. You may be entitled to claim any GST credits on your next Business Activity Statement.
  • Attach photocopies of Tax Invoices, for repairs paid or replacement items purchased, to the claim form. The claim is assess on the GST exclusive Please retain the original Tax Invoices to claim any applicable GST credits.
  • If your claim is for a Residential input taxed property such as a rental property (i.e. you do not charge GST for supplies and you are not entitled to claim Input Tax Credits for Acquisitions), then please follow the same directions as for those not registered for GST.
  1. b) If Congregation is NOT Registered for GST or wishing to have Insurance Services pay the Repairer/ Supplier directly (and invoice the Congregation the applicable excess)
  • Ensure that Tax Invoices are made out to:

Uniting Church in Australia (Synod of SA)

GPO Box 2145, Adelaide SA 5001

Note: If any supplier requires our ABN number, please quote 25 068 897 781.

  • Attach original invoices, for repairs paid or replacement items purchased, to the claim form so that we can claim back the applicable GST credits.

Claim Form

  • Claim forms must be fully completed and signed by two authorised persons.
  • We recommend retaining a copy of the claim form and supporting documentation, for your own records.
  • Please contact this office if you have any questions about the pending claim.

Claim Settlement

A Claim Payment Advice will be provided to the Congregation as confirmation of payments.

Important Points/Tips

Damage to buildings should be repaired as early as possible. Where there is damage that leaves the property unsecure (eg. broken window or damaged external doors, locks) or can result in further damage occurring (such as rain entering through a cracked window or broken/removed roof tiles, water leaking from broken pipes), repairs should be done immediately or within a reasonable timeframe.

Graffiti – Graffiti artists and taggers like their “handiwork” on display as long as possible. Because of this, it should be removed as soon as possible as this will often deter re-offending on the same property. If graffiti occurs on a boundary wall/fence that is adjacent to council land (eg. street-front), contact your local Council Office in the first instance as often Councils will remove graffiti free of charge.

Current ISR Policy Excesses Each Event

Earthquake $ 1,000

If reasonable precautions are not taken to Prevent initial or further loss/damage,
eg. keys left on premises (not in a locked safe) $ 1,000

Resultant Water Damage(s) contributed to/caused by lack of maintenance $ 1,000

Breakdown of Machinery, Plant or Equipment & food spoilage, Fusion $ 1,000

Data Processing/Media Failure Breakdown or Malfunction of electronic data processing systems $ 1,000

Theft of any contents/goods/materials where there is no evidence of forcible entry,
or the premises are left unsecured (ie unlocked windows, doors) or any contents/goods/materials in the open air $1,000

Theft of electronic equipment, valuables, cash (secured in locked building/room/safecash in safe) $ 500

Other claims - Church and Commercial Buildings and Rental Properties/Manses $ 500

- Manses – Occupied by the Minister or Tenant $ 500

Unoccupied Properties, regardless of the type of loss, attract a higher excess as follows:

- Church or Church Hall – unoccupied for a period exceeding 90days $ 10,000

- All other buildings – unoccupied for a period exceeding 60days $ 10,000