Cooking is something of an art form – one that many people struggle to master. An initiative at Dernancourt Uniting Church aims to help men over the age of 50 who lack confidence in the kitchen.
Pumpkins galore for Hawker
By Bindy Taylor
Posted in Culture
The Great Pumpkin Party is an exciting community event which will launch for the first time in the scenic town of Hawker on 2-3 June, 2018. The idea for the event was ignited by Hawker Uniting Church Pastor Nigel Pratt.
"We want everyone from around the local area, and even further to attend The Great Pumpkin Party," Nigel says when asked to explain his vision for the event.
"This will be event for all ages, it will raise money for charity and put Hawker on the map. It will also encourage others to look at ways they can grow produce, serve the community and support those in need."
Over two huge, pumpkin-filled days, members of the Hawker community and beyond will join together for food, fun and entertainment. The Great Pumpkin Party also provides an opportunity to give back to Foodbank SA. During a severe drought in 2010, Foodbank SA provided substantial support to the rural community by offering food for distribution. Event organisers want to thank Foodbank SA for their service by supporting them in their endeavours and generating donations. There will be opportunity at the event to donate pumpkins and non-perishable food items to Foodbank SA.
The exciting community event will include a Saturday dinner, music and entertainment, pumpkin competitions and prizes, and input from Uniting Church SA Moderator Rev Sue Ellis.
There are many ways Uniting Church members and communities can get involved!
- Growing pumpkins! Get start growing your own pumpkins – or encouraging others in your community to grow them – for donation to Foodbank.
- Entering the pumpkin competitions! There will be categories for heaviest pumpkin, most colourful pumpkin and more.
- Volunteering at the event. Hawker Uniting Church is calling for volunteers to help make this event extra special, and are particularly looking for help with set-up on Friday 1 June, people to make salads for the Saturday, and assistance with food serving on Saturday evening. Volunteers who don’t live close to Hawker may be able to stay with members of the church if they wish to come and help out.
- Attending the event. If you don’t have the green thumb to grow pumpkins, the skills needed to enter the competitions or the time to volunteer, you can offer support by attending the event – on Saturday, Sunday or both days! Tickets for Saturday night can be purchased here.
- Support Foodbank SA with donations of pumpkins and non-perishable food items.
Below is a breakdown of the event:
Saturday 2 June, 5pm
The Hawker Institute (Elder Road, Hawker)
dinner // entertainment // pumpkin competitions and prizes // pumpkin and non-perishable food donations for Foodbank SA (http://www.foodbanksa.org.au)
Cost: $20 (adults) or $10 (children under 16). Children aged 0-5 get in free!
Bookings: Event Brite (http://hawker-pumpkin-party.eventbrite.com.au)
Sunday 3 June, 10am
Hawker Uniting Church (Cradock Road, Hawker)
worship service // entertainment // buffet lunch
Each day of the Great Pumpkin Party will feature Entertainment provided by Jacinda Jansen and Timothy Davey and keynote addresses from Rev Sue Ellis.
Uniting Church members are warmly welcome to attend this unique event.
For more information, contact Nigel Pratt: firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com"> or visit the Hawker Uniting Church Facebook page. Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite here.
More from Culture
What does it mean to be intentional about intergenerational ministry? Dr Holly Allen helps us understand the blessing of ministry across generations.
Lombok has been devastated with multiple earthquakes. Read how this disaster has impacted Indonesians and how the church can assist.