Join the upcoming PROK Mission Trip to South Korea
“The Uniting Church SA seeks to be an innovative, growing church proclaiming Jesus Christ, empowered by the Spirit to transform God's world.”
One way the church lives out this vision is through the mission partnership that the UCSA shares with Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK). This is a unique partnership which values respectful exchange. We are two culturally different church bodies sincerely seeking to learn from each other spiritually, missionally and theologically.
As the Uniting church we are committed to Uniting people and through this partnership we are particularly interested in building relationships between young leaders in our churches and in supporting the ministry of the Korean diaspora in SA, through the Korean-speaking faith communities of the UCSA. It is hoped that new relationships will seed new missional partnership work over coming decades.
If you are a young person (16-25) or emerging leader (26-40) interested in developing your leadership and interpersonal skills as well as gaining a better understanding of working across cultures, then consider the 2016 Mission trip to Korea as valuable learning experience in those areas.
- Expect to learn and grow in how you relate inter-culturally (even if you are Korean, the rest of the team will be mixed) and to engage inter-generationally in new ways.
- Expect exposure to unique ways of seeing and following God and different ways of living missionally as a church.
- Expect to participate in the delivery of relevant ministry contributions in Korea (i.e. leading in prayer, worship, children’s/youth activities or speaking ministry – with translation as appropriate).
- Expect to be journaling beforehand and on site (tracking reflections and learning) if you are using this to connect with some of your theological development/POD/candidacy/lay leadership or MOP learning.
- Expect to give feedback to PROK support group via the PROK Trip Grant 2016 Reporting Back Form and in engagement with Comms as requested.
- And most of all, expect to see God move and challenge you as you learn and serve.
There will be intentional acculturation in the lead up to the trip. This will include:
- Basic Language skills Acquisition – through 2 PROK support group activities
- Cultural research – personal reading/viewing and the activities above
- Cultural immersion experiences – i.e. a visit to local Korean UCSA faith community worship service
There will also be opportunities with the Uniting College for Leadership and Theology (UCLT) in a range of areas, including:
- Readings topics & Guided studies
- Support work for lay ministry modules and MOP work
- POD journaling
- Participation/Observation reports (Ethnographic research) to feedback into formative journeys
The mission immersion trip will be from the 26th of November to the 6th of December.
- Complete the application here: PROK trip fund application (116 kb PDF)*Please note that two errors were amended on the form- the closing date and cost. (if you are applying for the trip but not for financial assistance, please indicate this on the form).
- You will be contacted to organise a short interview with a small panel from the PROK support group.
- You will hear within a week of that interview if you have been accepted and if you are successful in your application for financial assistance.
- Recipients of financial assistance are expected to provide feedback on their experience and learning on the trip. This form provides a guideline for how to frame your report to the PROK support group: PROK trip fund reporting back form (59 kb PDF)
There is a great sense among the PROK support group that this is a season of hope in the Spirit, that God is working through the sharing and the mutual learning in respect and love that characterises this aspect of International Mission, CALD ministries and Intergenerational Ministry support here in SA. The presence of leaders from our own Korean-speaking faith communities in Adelaide will help us to shape our relationship both during the trip and in years to come. We are seeking new leaders to grow with us in this exciting partnership.