Cross Roads Uniting Church (North Yelta)
Kadina Road, North Yelta
Sunday 7.00pm - all visitors are welcome to attend
Built 1875 - Previously Wesleyan Methodist
The Cross Roads Uniting Church was built by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1875 and is situated on the main Moonta-Kadina Road, approximately 1 kilometres from Moonta.
This is a small Church with a present seating capacity of 60 but could be expanded to 100, if necessary. It is Gothic design, measuring 35 feet by 27 feet 6 inches. The present congregation is small and mainly seniors. A Service is held at 7.00 p.m. each Sunday.
Originally, during the mining boom, there were three Methodist Churches at Cross Roads. The Primitives built in 1872, Bible Christians in 1873 and the Wesleyans in 1875. All were built within approximately 200 metres of each other. When they combined in 1900, the Primitive Church became the Lecture Hall, the Wesleyan Church became the Sunday School and the biggest building, the Bible Christian became the Church. However, a tornado in 1973 damaged the Bible Christian Church beyond repair and it had to be demolished. The Lecture Hall, the old Primitive Church, was also damaged and was sold. It is now still standing and is a private residence. The Wesleyan, previously the Sunday School, was not damaged and is now the Church at Cross Roads.
Phone: (08) 8825 2026